Employment of Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN) and Licensed Vocational Nurses (LVN) is projected to grow 12 percent from 2016 to 2026, faster than the average for all occupations.
As the Baby Boomer population ages, the overall need for health care services is expected to increase. LPNs and LVNs will be needed in residential care facilities and in home health environments to care for older patients.
Licensed Vocational Nurses (LVNs) and Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs) provide direct patient care under the direction of a Registered Nurse or a licensed physician. Vocational Nurses provide individual- and family-centered nursing care, and help assess the basic physical, emotional, spiritual, and sociocultural needs of the patient.
Vocational Nursing professionals are employed in a variety of health care settings, including hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, physicians' offices, clinics, correctional facilities and home health care agencies.
Vocational Nurses routinely perform a variety of important tasks, including:
- Monitoring patients’ health and vital signs (for example, by checking blood pressure).
- Providing basic patient care, including administering medications and injections, changing bandages and inserting catheters.
- Providing for the basic comfort of patients, such as helping them bathe or dress.
- Discussing the care they are providing with patients and listen to their concerns.
- Reporting patients’ status and concerns to registered nurses and doctors.
- Recording patient health and medical information.
- Other important health care tasks.
The Vocational Nursing program at North-West College can provide you with the health care knowledge and training required to begin a career as a Vocational Nurse working in a medical office, clinic, doctor's office, HMO, rehabilitation center, hospital and other health care facilities. This program is offered in our Anaheim, West Covina, Pomona, Van Nuys, Riverside, and Long Beach campuses, or you can enroll in our online training programs.
Licensure Examination Pass Rates
* Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Licensed Practical and Licensed Vocational Nurses, on the Internet at https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/licensed-practical-and-licensed-vocational-nurses.htm (visited March 2019).
** North-West College cannot guarantee employment.
Train Online or at a Campus Near You!