Employment of Dental Assistants is projected to grow 19 percent from 2016 to 2026, - much faster than the average for all occupations. Ongoing research linking oral health and general health will likely continue to increase the demand for preventive dental services. Dentists will continue to hire more Dental Assistants to complete routine tasks, allowing the dentist to see more patients in their practice and to spend their time on more complex procedures. As dental practices grow, more Dental Assistants will be needed.
Dental Assistants perform many tasks, ranging from patient care and taking x-rays to record keeping and scheduling appointments. Specific duties vary by state and by the dentists’ offices where they work.
Dental Assistants routinely perform a variety of important tasks, including:
- Scheduling patient appointments.
- Preparing patients and the work area for treatments and procedures.
- Sterilizing and preparing dental instruments.
- Assisting dentists during dental procedures.
- Instructing patients in proper oral hygiene.
- Processing x-rays and complete lab tasks, under the direction of a dentist.
- Recording and updating patient dental treatment records.
- Working with patients on billing and payment.
- Performing other chairside procedures.
The Dental Assistant program at North-West College is a career-focused technical course designed to provide you with the training programs you need to start working in a dental office. This is a hands-on program that focuses on equipping you with the knowledge and skills you need to succeed as a Dental Assistant. This program is offered at our California (CA) campuses - Anaheim, West Covina, Pomona, Van Nuys, Glendale and Riverside - or you can enroll in our online training programs.
* Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Dental Assistants, on the Internet at https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/dental-assistants.htm (April 2019).
** North-West College cannot guarantee employment.
Train Online or at a Campus Near You!