Surgical Technologists, also called operating room technicians, prepare operating rooms, arrange equipment, and assist doctors during surgeries. Surgical Technologists are responsible for preparing the operating room by setting up surgical instruments and equipment, preparing patients for surgery, helping the surgical team put on sterile gowns and gloves, and preparing sterile solutions and medications used in surgery.
Once the operation is complete, surgical technologists may apply bandages and other dressings to the incision site. They may also help transfer patients to recovery rooms and restock operating rooms after a procedure.
Surgical Technologists routinely perform a variety of important tasks, including:
- Preparing operating rooms for surgery.
- Sterilizing equipment and make sure that there are adequate supplies for surgery.
- Reading patients for surgery, such as by washing and disinfecting incision sites.
- Helping surgeons during surgery by passing them instruments and other sterile supplies.
- Counting supplies, such as sponges and instruments.
- Maintaining a sterile environment.
The Surgical Technologist program at North-West College is a career-focused program that teaches technical skills and provides the hands-on training experience required to begin working with surgeons, anesthesiologists, certified registered nurse anesthetists, registered nurses and other surgical personnel as a member of a surgical team.
The Surgical Technologist program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP - www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of the Accreditation Review Council on Education in Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (ARC/STSA).
* North-West College cannot guarantee employment.
CST Exam Passage Rates
Train at a California (CA) campus near you!